Friday, December 21, 2007

I'm not running for Jesus; I'm just trying to get in!

Merry CHRISTmas.

Don't send a lame Holiday eCard. Try JibJab Sendables!
(Office Party with my Co-Workers)

I do my best to teach my children that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, regardless of what the world is pushing. To hold that truth and be steadfast in the belief of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Joseph.
That being said, I run my house as I see fit. Folks that come to my door to inform me that I am not living right due to my current dogmatism, really cook my grits. Why is theirs better? What proof do they have I don't?
Even if I meet someone who doesn't believe in God, not my problem. I will live my life and do what I see fit and Godly. The non believer, when the moment strikes them will question their own belief and seek out God for themselves. When that person ask me about my God, it's at that moment I will talk about my religion.

I enjoy how some folks try to dispel God with science, there was a time I was one of them. Again, I don't tell them they are right or wrong, I just simply go on living my life as I see fit. I will talk to my children about this, even before they ask; it is my responsibility as a Father. I like to use short stories to explain my position on a topic, my DAD did it for me and it seemed to help give a more complete synopsis.

Here is my favorite story about science and the great piano player.

Imagine a family of mice who lived all their lives in a large piano. In their piano world the music of the instrument filled all the dark spaces with sound and harmony. At first the mice were impressed by it. They drew comfort and wonder from the thought that there was Someone who made the music - though invisible to them - above, yet close to them. They loved to think of the Great Player whom they could not see. Then one day a daring mouse climbed up part of the piano and returned very thoughtful. He had found out how the music was made. Wires were the secret; tightly stretched wires of graduated lengths which tremble and vibrate. The mice must revise all their old beliefs. Some, however, still held on to the faith in the Unseen Player.

Later, another explorer carried the explanation further. Hammers were now the secret, many hammers dancing and leaping on the wires. This was a more complicated theory, but it all went to show that they lived in a purely mechanical and mathematical world. Now mothers told their little ones about the myth of the Unseen Player.

But the pianist continued to play.

2 comments:

Ripple said...

That was the funniest thing I've seen all day. thanks....

Great story too. I like the way you think, Al.

Schmoop said...

Fantastic story Al-Man. But that video? I'm beginning to think that maybe you shouldn't have access to a computer. Cheers and Merry Christmas!!