Friday, January 11, 2008

Personal Anecdotes of Choosing


As the presidential campaign heats up, lots of people I talk to express dismay that none of the current candidates meet all of their hopes and expectations. Often the discussion turns to what they don’t like about one person or another. This has been true in every national election I’ve seen, but I don’t remember a time when dissatisfaction with the choices was higher and the temptation to stand on the sidelines was stronger.

Well, that’s not a viable option. In a democracy, the highest public office is a citizen with the right to vote. Our privileges come with civic responsibilities, including the moral duty to participate.

But how can we sort through the rhetoric, rumors, and allegations to make a wise and responsible choice?

First, we have to become informed.

Claims that “I really don’t know much about candidate X” are not acceptable. We can’t hide behind a veil of ignorance, especially in the era of the Internet where it’s so easy to learn all we need to know. Surely, we should put as much effort into choosing our next president as we would in choosing our next car.

The harder challenge is weighing and balancing the factors we think are important and making a comparative judgment among the contenders.

It helps me to be systematic and assess each candidate’s strengths and deficiencies in three areas:

Convictions. What is his or her ideology and beliefs about issues of consequence?
Competence. What is his or her ability to effectively implement stated strategies and to deal with the crisis potential of unanticipated events, from natural disasters to foreign assassinations?
Character. Can this person be trusted to represent the country with honor, integrity, courage, and dignity?



11 comments:

Dana said...

I couldn't agree more!

The information is out there, easily accessible for all of. We have an obligation to participate in this process.

Schmoop said...

You are right on the mark. Unfortunately, the American electorate is, for the most part, incredibly lazy. Cheers!!

Dogmatist said...

Wait a second coach. You said, "Surely, we should put as much effort into choosing our next president as we would in choosing our next car."
I choose my cars based on color and manliness. I can't believe that you would suggest that I choose a president based on race and gender. You are an evil person and the problem with our democracy.

Peace!

You can Call me AL said...

Nice try DAWG!
I said "EFFORT" in choosing. How you my word twisting friend decide is up to you.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Unknown said...

Excellent post....spot on, like it Al.

Dogmatist said...

Oh.

Ripple said...

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the candidates are responsible or a good choice or even a responsible choice.

DirkStar said...

Convictions are very important to me when it comes to choosing a candidate.

How many they have and what they were for is what I base my vote on.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices seeking the boots are approximately 300 pounds on every page. But for all I found this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what can you tell me about these?