Thursday, January 3, 2008

Breaking in the new Pit

I love B.B.Q. but only if it is done right. My first restaurant was a small 22 seat smoke house. Fric & Frac's Rib Shack, I loved that place! A college friend(Dave aka-Fric) and myself(AL aka -Frac) needed a job to help fund college. Both of us were raised in the food industry and thought, what the hell.
The good news, it made bank. Bad news, we were up till 3A.M. most nights keeping up with the demands of smoking the meats. After about two years, Dave couldn't handle restaurant demands and college, he needed to bail. So I found myself at the fork in the road and decided to devote my studies to cooking. Where better but Cajun Country, the French Quarter?
I did re-open in a new location and new
partner, my Mom. The new place was much bigger 98 seats with a 50 seat banquet room. We now served Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Catering. The place was packed from day one, pretty much stayed that way till I closed it 7 years later but that's another story!
(Yeah, I now that was a major run-on sentence)

The wife and my new X-Mas PIT, she rocks! The wife ain't bad either!

Beef and Pork ribs, ready for the Barbie.

The Pit working it's magic.
I need to fabricate better air vents, had a hell of time keeping the temperature right.

Baby it's cold outside!
Why not enjoy while you cook?

The finished product!
They came out nice and I'm still picking meat out of my teeth.

6 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm gonna need an address...

Mmmm mmm mmmm those look fantastic!

none said...

looks good.

I marinate mine in a deep pan filled with vinegar oil and spices at 350 for an hour before I put em on the grill. But we mostly do steaks and chicken here.

I always wanted to go into the restaurant business but every owner I talked to screamed "DON'T DO IT"

You can Call me AL said...

Thanks R.L.L.

Hammer - If I'm doing St. Louis style ribs, I'll simmer in a marinate, especially pulled pork.
As far as getting in to the restaurant business:

1. never go in partnership with relatives

2.Location, location, location

3. Good menu, Good Food -EVERY DAY!
must be constant.

4. Are you ready to be married to a building and is your family ready to see you less, much less.

5. It's about what your customers want, not what you want.

6. Start small and go from there.

Rick said...

Looooove a good Bar-B-Que. I'll be right over.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Good luck.

Schmoop said...

They look great. I am not a big rib fan, but my son would be more than happy to help you eat those. Cheers!!

Crystal said...

yum!! (And I have plenty of good memories of Fric & Frac's!!)